Winter is just around the corner and we can feel a degree or two dropping each day. If you’re a fan of warm and comforting dishes you know a bowl of steamy goodness is that much more enjoyable when it’s chilly out. Today we bring you Sweet Chicken Curry. By following the simple instructions you’ll have yourself a hearty, nutrient dense dinner.
It all starts with a few all-star ingredients
Pasture Raised Chicken: Everything tastes better when it’s pasture raised. Be sure to source your ethical chicken from NIKU Farms.
Full-fat coconut milk: one of the best sources of MCTs, but also a dairy-free way to make the dish taste extra creamy and rich.
Curry powder: a mix of spices that are so flavourful but also such tiny little powerhouses. Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory miracle worker, ginger soothes digestion, and cinnamon balances blood sugar.
Cauliflower rice: if you want to minimize your grain intake, cauliflower rice is pure magic. The consistency of rice is there, but you’re also nourishing yourself with a cancer-fighting, high-fibre vegetable.
Picking the right ingredients like pasture-raised chicken and no-additive full fat coconut milk will add valuable nutrients to your meal such as MCTs and omega-3. Full list of ingredients bellow yields 4 servings.
• 2 pasture-raised chicken breasts (from NIKU Farms), cut into cubes
• 1 tbsp avocado oil
• 1 sweet onion, sliced or diced (depending on if you’d like to feel the texture of the onions)
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 can of full-fat coconut milk (try to avoid gums or additives on those labels)
• 2 tsp curry powder
• 1/2 tsp cumin
• 1/4 tsp nutmeg
• 1 tsp ginger
• 1 tsp pink salt + another tsp for the ‘rice’
• 1 tbsp tomato paste (look for pure tomato paste – sometimes sugar sneaks onto those labels!)
• 1-2 tsp monk fruit (can also sub for coconut sugar)
• 1 tbsp tapioca flour
• 1 small zucchini, sliced
• Cremini mushrooms, sliced
• Dash of hot sauce to taste
• 1 bag of cauliflower rice (or head of cauliflower riced in the food processor)
• 1/2 tbsp ghee
• 1/2 of a lime
1) Heat up a large pot with avocado oil.
2) Add onions and garlic powder and let them sweat for a few minutes until you smell the goodness. Next, add your cut chicken breasts and lower the heat to low/medium. Stir occasionally for the flavours to integrate until chicken develops a golden brown coating.
3) Add in your tomato paste, followed by all of your spices (curry powder, cumin, nutmeg, ginger, salt). Stir well and pour in full can of coconut milk. Bring it up to a simmer and let the flavours integrate once again for another 5 minutes.
4) Add your veggies, followed by your sweetener of choice and tapioca flour. Stir well and let simmer on low, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes. The sauce will start to reduce so keep stirring!
5) In the meantime, heat up a separate skillet, add your ghee and cauliflower rice. Add salt and stir until soft.
6) Add your hot sauce to the curry if using. Do the chicken test – cut into a piece to determine whether solid white. If not, keep stirring while it simmers on low.
7) Scoop cauliflower rice into a bowl, followed by the curry. YES, make sure to get all that sauce! Top with chopped cilantro (if that’s your jam), a squirt of lime or a few sprigs of fresh mint.
We hope this recipe will give you and your family a feeling of comfort and wholesomeness. The smell will gather everyone around the table and the taste will strike up conversations. Because nothing brings the family together like a delicious meal using meat from NIKU Farms.
Subscribe to our mailing list for 10% off your first order.