30 Things to try for Earth Day
April 15, 2021
Small actions slowly build up and make a difference. With our small farm partners and local delivery, we know this better than anyone. NIKU Farms is all about coming together as the little guys and making a bigger impact. Since we’re officially one week away from Earth Day 2021 let’s take this as a cue to start correcting some unsustainable habits little by little, day by day.
Not everything is going to work for everyone, and that’s ok. We’ve compiled a list of ideas for you to browse – so feel free to pick some to do during the coming week and beyond!
- Walk or bike instead of drive
- Go zero-waste for one day
- Skip the long bath time
- Hold back on bulk buying packs of plastic water bottles
- Think twice before placing that Amazon order
- Bring reusable bags when you go grocery shopping (if safety restrictions allow)
- Plant something!
- Properly recycle your trash (see our NIKU Recycling Guide)
- Shop second hand rather than brand new
- Invest in some metal straws!
- Buy local groceries
- Unplug appliances you aren’t using
- Turn the faucet off while brushing your teeth
- Invest in some bamboo alternatives to plastic
- Swap out your paper towels for a nice selection of cloth towels
- Take the stairs
- Collect rainwater for your plants
- Cook using seasonal produce
- Switch to energy-efficient light bulbs at home
- Cancel irrelevant mailing catalogs you’re subscribed to
- Switch all your billing to digital
- Bring a plant home!
- Invest in an e-book reader
- Start a garden
- Compost food waste (save your meat scraps for bone broth)
- Repurpose miscellaneous containers
- Make your own cleaning products (white vinegar + baking soda!)
- Help clean up a nearby beach
- DIY a homemade bird feeder
- Turn off the lights and go outside to enjoy the weather!